Thursday, May 31, 2012

US Consulate & New Links

I noticed last night that May of 2012 was my biggest blogging month ever. Wow! That's what you all get when I'm stuck in a hotel room with a sleeping kid, lots of photos and stories, and no television. Now, on to the reason you clicked onto this blog...

At 8:30 this morning we were at the US Consulate's office to submit our visa packet, and it ought to be delivered tomorrow around 3:30pm.  He will officially become a US citizen when US Immigration opens his packet and processes his information at the airport in Chicago.  We were told no fewer than a done times to "not open the brown envelope" before we get to Immigration.  I think it's kind of a big deal.
On another subject, Mr. Minnesota and I were talking about funny stuff, and I asked him if he'd ever seen The Dad Life.  He hadn't.  And then he asked if I'd seen the Toyota minivan commercial, and I hadn't, so I looked it up when I got back to the room.  Check it out...
And if you've never seen The Dad Life, here you go...
Anywhoo...

Today Henry let me carry him from the Consulate's office to the ground floor... 5 stories!  Then, he asked me to pick him up in the room several times.  Not wanting to press my luck, I set him down before he got fussy, but most times he asked to get picked back up.  This is all coming at a good time, because if he's cool with me holding him, the Day Of Travel on Saturday could be a lot easier on Jenn.

We're going to try to check out some of the markets around the hotel this evening if the kids' schedules cooperate.  Yes, there is a lot of downtime now, but this end to the week has seemed as though it's approaching quickly.

All of the families on our trip have been very, very nice, and there are a couple of families with whom we've particularly enjoyed spending our time and sharing these experiences.  I'm not sure any one family knew another before mid-May, but now we've all got a special connection.  I've included the blogs  represented by this bunch that don't require passwords in our blog roll on the right.  For you prospective adopters cruising our blog, check out Soli Deo Gloria (Minnesota), Road To Yin (Kansas), Dutter Family (Indiana), and 4craneys (Illinois) for additional perspectives.  Each of has had many similar experiences, but we've all had our unique situations, as well.  The kids featured on those blogs, Lucy, Ethan, Ethan and Nicholas, have been neat to watch over the last week-and-a-half as they've come out of their shells, much as Henry has done.

I'm sure I'll have more to post before we jet out of Hong Kong.  And prospective adopters, Jenn and I are working on a list of things you'll want to have in order before your trip.  Notice I didn't say a packing list... there are plenty of those out in the blogosphere.  Instead, we're going to put a unique spin on what you need to have ready before you come to pick up the next addition to your family.  Stay tuned...

No comments: