Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean w/ Live Score!

A couple of things I left out of the last post due to the busy-ness of the week were:
A photo from Lincoln's swimming lesson...
...and our first visit with our social worker on Wednesday. We found out that we (because of Jenn) are over-prepared in a big way. Most of the first hour, we've come to know, consists of the social worker reviewing all of the documents that need to be collected and the copies that need to be made. When we arrived, Jenn set a big folder down on the table that contained about 85% of what we'll ultimately need by the end, and the rest of the visit was just a formality. We have three more visits, all at our home, over the next month. I also recently came to realize that I do not, in fact, need to submit an autobiography. This knowledge came after I'd finished my 23rd page. But most of the interviews over the next three visits will touch on things that showed up in my manuscript, so I ought to be prepared!

Jenn and I began using Rosetta Stone to learn Mandarin. Our foreign language skills are pretty horrible, but Rosetta Stone's method of teaching is pretty fantastic. I've made it through Lesson 1 of the first Level, Jenn's into Lesson 2, and we're both picking it up better than I thought we would. I stunk really bad at Spanish in high school, and avoided foreign languages like the plague in college. We'll see as time goes by how well we can speak and understand Mandarin. In the end, we want to be able to get by in China with at least learning how to ask for the appropriate restroom.
Lydia is getting closer and closer to crawling. She's also showing interest in pulling herself up on things, and she recently started clapping on command/encouragment!
Last evening Emily and Jeremy joined us at Blossom for a screening of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. I never cease to be amazed at the orchestral performances by the Cleveland Orchestra at Blossom. The timing was perfect! There was even a choir to do the vocal portions of the score. I must say, I now prefer to watch a movie with a live score. It was incredible.

1 comment:

Emily said...

We had lots of fun. Thanks again for letting us come!
Love you guys,
Emily